Whenever we five Biedenbach children asked Dad what he wanted for his June birthday, Father’s Day or Christmas, he always responded with a loud bark: “Peace and quiet.”
He never got it.
Dad’s birthday came the week before Father’s Day so we usually combined the two celebrations. Each of us, as adult children, made an appearance at the family homestead on Father’s Day—or else Dad let us know before the sun set that we had missed “his” day. He didn’t care about gifts; he just wanted to see us; he just wanted to know that we remembered him.
With Mother’s Day just behind us and Father’s Day looming on the calendar, it’s really not too early to begin thinking about an inspirational gift for your Dad or any father(s) in your life that you want to honor in a special way this June.
St. Anthony Messenger Press can make your Father’s Day gift shopping a breeze. Here are my top 5 gift ideas for Dad:
- a gift subscription to St. Anthony Messenger magazine. This gift of Catholic inspiration and information keeps on giving for 12 months.
- From Wild Man to Wise Man: Reflections on Male Spirituality by Richard Rohr with Joseph Martos. This best-selling book by a leading spiritual writer will help any man make sense of his life. With this gift, you can provide nourishment for Dad’s spiritual journey.
- Dion: The Wanderer Talks Truth [Stories, Humor, & Music] by Dion DiMucci with Mike Aquilina. If Dad is a music lover, especially of ’60s tunes, he will want to grab this book to learn of the hard-won wisdom of one of rock’s icons.
- Prayers for Catholic Men by Mike Pacer. Any Dad will want to tuck this prayer book into a pocket or briefcase or keep it on a nightstand or near a favorite reading chair in order to make prayer part of his daily routine.
- My Life with the Saints by James Martin, S.J. Dad will love listening to this fresh take on the saints while driving or working out with his iPod. It is the best-selling memoir of spiritual discovery by a leading Catholic writer today. Jim Martin makes the saints come alive! Available on CD and as an audio download.
Need additional gift ideas?
If you want additional suggestions for gifts for Dad and anyone else on your June gift list, check out our online catalog or contact our customer service representatives at 1-800-488-0488.
How will you honor your Dad or the fathers in your life this Father’s Day?
Photo illustration: nuttakit